Image Map

why I'll always be a seminole | blogtember


First things first - I have turned into someone I said I never would turn into. I curse my PC everyday, and I think that officially makes me addicted to my iMac. Whenever everyone and their mom started getting iPhones, I decided that I would never be that person who bought into the Apple hype. While I may still hate my iPhone (if you know the issue is YOUR FAULT, why would I have to pay $200 to fix it?!?), I can't go five minutes on my PC without wishing I was on the iMac. Alllll this to say - I would rather eat dirt than attempt to blog/read blogs/comment on blogs on my PC. So I moved the iMac out of the office (aka dungeon) and into the living room so I could do said activities at night while lounging with A. This combined with #blogtember should help...
_____________________

Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.

Funny...I actually had this post in my drafts. It was (is?) long and I feel weird sometimes about getting serious and putting so many feeeeeels out there, but posts like that are the ones I enjoy reading so much on other's blogs, so I am going for it. 

My parents met while attending Florida State University, go noles!, and thus raised us kiddos as die hard Seminole fans. A majority of my memories as a kid involve FSU in some way or another. My first AOL screen name was something along the lines of "nolegal" or "nolechick." (And yes, people did confuse that for mole. Happened more often than you'd think.) And I'm just now seeing that the first one reads more as no-legal. Seems very wrong. 


Not only did my parents attend FSU, but the summer after my fifth grade year, my brother and sister left to attend FSU. (Yep, they're twins!) As you can imagine, I idolized everything they did, so this just enforced the idea that one day I would too attend FSU. While most kids in Texas were arguing about being aggies and longhorns, I was busy dreaming about Saturdays spent in Doak doing the chop. (Uh, I had a very vivid imagination as a child...) 


Fast forward 6 years to my junior year of college. My school let juniors and seniors have a certain amount of excuses absences each semester to be used to tour college campuses. Which just worked perfectly with going to FSU for the Wake Forest game. Hey, I DID take a tour, for what it's worth. Some students let their other days go to waste, and some just skipped a day and had the papers signed at a quick 10 minute trip to the community college right next to the school. 

And then some, like me, took all three other days (second semester junior year and two my senior year) visiting Baylor University. I'm not really sure why I had such a fascination with Baylor- ok that is a complete lie, my biggest crush ever was a year older and that's where he went- but whatever the reason, I sure did seem to visit a lot! 


So when the time came to apply to colleges, I early applied to FSU and Baylor. Except I never sent in my $20 along with the Baylor application, so yes, I only applied to ONE college. 

I will probably always remember this day. December 15, 2005. I woke up late (it was finals week and seniors with good grades could exempt from nearly all finals) and checked the online database to see that I was accepted into the greatest school there is, Florida State University. I remember first calling my boyfriend and then driving to my moms office to show her my "letter." She hugged me and then jokingly asked if I was SURE I didn't want to think about staying in state. UM, duh, NO. 

And then I did what every senior who got early acceptance did, I stopped caring! I still feel kind of bad that I graduated in the top 10%. In Texas, the state schools had to (at that time) automatically accept anyone in the top 10%, making it extremely hard for anyone outside of that to get accepted- mainly at the big 2 schools, UT and Texas A&M. I feel like I took someone's spot that wanted to go to either of those schools and didn't get in. Because for me, being in that top 10% didn't matter one bit! 

And then things for funky. It's a really long story and this post is already on the lengthy side, so it all boils down to the fact that April of my senior year, my dad unexpectedly had to retire from the police force. 

We never wanted for anything growing up, and we are all extremely lucky that our parents put us through college with no loans to them or us, but when faced with the loss of an income and a child about to head off to a school with an out-of-state tuition (not to mention another daughter two years behind who would also be a tuition soon), that tuition becomes hard to picture without loans. 

I'm not proud of the way I reacted to the news that I couldn't go to FSU. There were lots of tears, mine and my parents, and yelling. For a week I was dead set on taking out loans and putting myself through four years of out of state tuition. My parents, thankfully, talked me out of this option. It was very me, me, me...I was being a brat. I was also embarrassed. So for another month I continued to act like I was going to FSU still. I told two friends, but my best friends didn't know. I needed someone to talk to, but I didn't want everyone finding out. Looking back on all of this now, I wish I could slap myself silly. I clearly thought that not being able to attend my dream school was the worst thing that would ever happen to me. Dramatic, much? Now it seems like such a small, silly almost, bump in the road. But I was 18 and dramatic and sad. 

After a month of lying, I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to tell my boyfriend while dancing at prom. Good timing, Kaitlyn! I remember telling him that I'd been crying myself to sleep every night...and he responded with "I could tell." Gee, thanks buddy! 

So it was May, and a few weeks before graduation...and I had no school to go to. Panic attack city! I had missed the application deadlines to the big schools, UT and aTm, and there was NO way I was going to go to school in Lubbock, Texas. (Sorry tech friends!) My mom did some research and if I applied that week, I could still get in before the scholarship deadline at Stephen F. Austin State University. Oh, and Sam Houston, but the state prison is there and so no, thanks but no. (Sorry EDB, had to say it!) That seemed okay, I could go to school in Austin. 

Oh wait, you mean it's not in Austin? It's in a dry county in East Texas in the Bible Belt? And how does one even pronounce Nacogdoches? (It's Nac-uhh-doe-chess for those wondering.)

Come August I was SFA bound. I spent a year and a half at SFA, and while, at the time, I could not wait to get out, those three semesters brought a lot of joy. I pledged an amazing sorority, met great sisters and friends, and got my first glimpse at fraternity parties. (Albeit on a small, small scale.)

obviously I wasn't quite ready to give up the garnet and gold. or the trashcan punch, apparently.


When I wasn't spending time at socials or mixers, I was usually spending time at a different college dreaming of transferring there. I went from wanting to transfer to UT, to dead set on going to A&M (whyyyyyy) to Oklahoma State to Arkansas. 

so many things are wrong with this picture.

One of my pledge sisters was from Bossier City, LA and 99% of her friends from high school went to LSU. We went to visit them freshman year and twice sophomore year and both of us got a crazy idea that maybe WE would like to go to LSU.


It also helped that my BIL got us on the field for the 2007 LSU vs. Florida game - second most amazing game I've ever been to. First most amazing was the 2010 FSU vs. Florida game when the Noles FINALLY beat Florida. Basically any game where Florida loses is amazing in my book.

So January of 2008, I was officially an LSU Tiger. Again, extremely lucky to have parents who sacrificed a lot to allow me to go to college and not worry about paying for it on my own. 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LSU and always will, but I know deep down that I will always be a Seminole at heart. God had a plan for me and if that distinct moment when my dad had to retire never happened, I never would have ended up at LSU and I never would have met A. I probably would have also fell victim to some unfortunate fashion trends that are in Tallahassee. Anyone who's been to Potbelly's on a Friday night knows what I am talking about. 

I no longer wonder "what if" about FSU, but I will always, always be a Seminole. And I wouldn't mind one bit if our future kids followed in my parents and siblings footsteps and decided to be Seminoles. Although, if so, I should probably start saving for that right now. Yikes.

10 comments :

  1. This was such a great post, Kaitlyn. Seriously! I totally know what you went through! I had a similar situation, and its so silly we used to get embarrassed over it! But I TOTALLY get it!

    So happy you were put at LSU and met A and are happily ever afterrrr now! ;)

    Love youuuu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anyone's college decisions go the way the plan... I had planned on going to CU-Boulder with all of my friends, and keeping my sweet life guarding job, and it was all set. Then I went to look at a couple of schools in the midwest just for fun, and my dad encouraged me to check out Indiana. Everything changed after that, and suddenly, I was a Hoosier through and through. I gave up everything and moved out of state, just like that.

    Your college journey sounds like it was a little crazy, but it absolutely sounds worth it in the end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my most pivotal life moments is very similar to yours! I chose to transfer from UNC-Wilmington after my freshman year to go to East Carolina University even though I swore up and down I'd NEVER go to ECU since just about everyone from home went there (it's only 30 minutes from our hometown). While I adore my alma mater and I am glad I made the switch, I always wonder what would have happened if I had stuck it out and TRIED to actually like UNC-W. It's especially funny since my sister ended up at UNC-W and adores it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so interesting! I love that you shared this story. College selection stories are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this and you know I always enjoy how you describe Nac and SFA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgive you for the Huntsville comment bc it lead you to A. And if none of this had happened, I wouldn't have you and I would be missing out on one of my favorite friendships. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to forgive you for the (what was I thinking) comment about A&M . At least it lead to the 48725829 random friends in common which made us even faster friends! Also the margins are fixed! I am too lazy to get up off the couch and get my phone to text you! I cant wait until everyone sees your fancy new designnnnn!!!! YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that brought back a flood of memories! Everyone was devastated for you, probably no one more so than Daddy. While the whole ordeal was total BS your reaction to the news was pretty normal for an 18 year old! I remember calling UT and aTm leading your case, you were top 10 for goodness sake! Ugh I was so angry with them I'm so glad you ended up at LSU instead of a state school. Plus us Lindsey kids like to attend winning football programs;)
    I'm beyond happy you ended up where you did, I got to see you so much during your collegiate career and it made going to games so much fun. Everything happens for a reason! I firmly believe there is Seminole blood in all of us kids (even Meg though she will never admit it). However I would not be opposed if Reid picked an in state school....dang out of state is expensive!! We truly have selfless parents who put our needs and wants above their own.
    I would just like to state for the record a big screw you to the Chronicle....would have been nice if after running the false accusations they would have apologized after internal affairs cleared the matter. Guess I still hold a grudge;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post! Not only did it attract my attention because I am a Seminole that went to FSU but I am also a Chi O. It is a big sorority but I am always surprised when I meet fellow Chi O's. FSU AND LSU are both great schools so you couldn't have gone wrong either way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I went to FSU but due to my parents divorce had to transfer to USF after a year and a half. I'm a Seminole at heart no matter what my diploma says too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your thoughts and feedback! New friends are fun :)