Image Map

book review | 11/22/63

Sorry to those of you who don't like to read, but I'm thinking these book reviews will become a regular on here. I read A LOT, so this gives me a way to keep track of the better (or worse) ones. By a lot, I mean that. So far this year I've already read 16 books. And I was NOT the nerd in high school, I just really love to read and I read really fast, so reading one book in a night is not hard for me. Moving on...

Two weeks ago I reviewed Once Upon A Secret, a book written by an old white house intern who had an affair with JFK. Many of you, it turns out, share in my fascination with the Kennedy clan, so I'm sticking to that theme this week. I'll move past the Kennedy family next week, I promise! 

When I mentioned to my mom that I wanted to read up more on the Kennedy's, she ran upstairs to get this book. I was a tad weary because I don't typically enjoy Stephen King novels, but I trust my mom's judgement on books, so I brought it home with me. And then I proceeded to read it every chance I got. As in...one day I drove to Kroger during lunch and read it in my car in the parking lot. It's one of those that will suck you in and you can't stop until it's over. 


What it's about:
This is a fictional take on the assassination, and it follows a teacher living in the 2000s back in time to 1958. A local diner owner, Al, is dying and convinces the main character, Jake, to go back in time for him and save JFK from being killed. It starts in September of 1958. Jakes learns from the start that you can visit the past as long as you want to-years or days-but when you come back it will always be exactly 2 minutes later than when you went. Every visit after is a reset - you can change the past (thereby affecting the present), but the past stays the past, it simply resets. The books follows Jake's pursuit of Lee Harvey Oswald and everything he encounters along the way - love, crazy bookies, friendships, terrible living conditions, etc. 

My thoughts:
I REALLY liked the book. It was extremely true in the historical facts aspect. I just didn't LOVE the ending. It is absolutely worth the read, though, and will leave you wanting to know more about Lee and if it was a conspiracy or not. King does a wonderful job on the character of Lee, that was one of the best parts of the book. 

Overall, I give it...
I had too much fun making that graphic. I finally got to try my hand at drawing in Photoshop with my Wacom! LOVED it! 
SIDENOTE: The book is 11/22/63...not 11/23/63. Pay no attention to my trouble with numbers...and thank you to the sweet reader who brought this to my attention!!

Tune in next week as I review another book - hopefully you find something that interests you! After all, happiness is a room full of books :)

7 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh. I love you more than ever after seeing your bow scale. Makes me smile so big! I can't wait to read this one, especially since Barb gave it to you. I love me some JFK but you know this already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ordering NOW! Seriously, I flew threw Once Upon a Secret. KEEP them coming. Also, keep the bow scale coming. That is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good... I've always liked historical fiction so I think I'll add this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your rating scale :) My husband has this on his "to-read" list too. I love that you are posting about books!! Gives me more to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading but I'm totally one of those people who gets sucked in and then I get nothing else accomplished. Which during school meant I couldn't really read the books I wanted to. Maybe I'll have to pick it up again while the nanny bebe is napping :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need to borrow k thanks. And no more sitting in parking lots to read. That is crazy dangerous and you're not packing. Go to mom and dads and lay out while you're at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love learning about the Kennedys so this is definitely going on my list! And that bow graphic is too adorable.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your thoughts and feedback! New friends are fun :)