Image Map

book review | once upon a secret

A and I went to Dallas in January for the hockey game that I got him tickets for as his Christmas gift. We didn't have any plans other than that, so we left Houston early in Saturday morning with the intention of finding something to do when we got there. After wandering around Deep Ellum (reminded me of a mix between Jefferson street in Lafayette and sixth in Austin) A started to look online for things to do. He mentioned the art museum and the science museum only to hear groans from me, but when he mentioned the sixth floor museum, I was all in. 

You see, I have a huge obsession with all things Kennedy. And history. This museum had my name ALL over it. But an hour or two wasn't enough for me. I needed more. And then an extra hour of reading everything online was still not enough. 

Enter every Kennedy book I could find. My mom gave me one which I'll be reviewing next week, but I immediately checked this one out online (side note: checking out books from the library that get delivered directly to your kindle is the greatest thing ever.) and got to reading. And now we have my first, of many, book review! 


Brief synopsis: Mimi interned at the White House when she was 19 and was swept into a year and a half long affair with JFK. She kept the secret from everyone but her husband for her entire life until she was outed in her sixties. The book details the affair and her life after it. Juicy stuff. 

My thoughts: The book was overall a great read. (And makes me question why I love the man so much. I hate cheaters!) Also I caught myself comparing this affair to that of Fitz and Olivia. Maybe I over thought it, but I guarantee you Shonda Rhimes was thinking it, too! It was a fast and easy read and I enjoyed the peek into a side of JFK that most books don't go into. 

I give it 4 out 5 bows...mainly because I'm sad that I now have to view JFK as kind of a perv. Sad day. 

If you've read this book, let me know your thoughts! And if you haven't, I think you should. Reading is good for the soul! 

Tune in next week for my review of 11/22/63! And then I promise I will move on from historical books. And I'll also have pretty graphics for the bows given out at the end. 

6 comments :

  1. GAH I LOVE the Kennedy's. The week of the 50th anniversary of his death all I did was watch documentaries and try to solve the case myself. I have got to get my hands on this. Headed to amazon now!!!

    Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the Kennedy's and think that JFK is so extraordinarily handsome, I always hate to think about him being a cheater too, but the history behind their family is like a straight up soap opera, so interesting to research and read about! Going to have to check out this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon's cousin went through a period of life where she could easily have passed for Jackie O. Sounds like a good read, may have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book. I thought it was a good and easy read! I read it for a book club that I'm in and we had the most interesting conversations as a result of it. It did make me sad to know JFK was a cheater but I loved the insider perspective on being in the white house during that time period. Although I did question why she wrote and published the book after everyone who could back up her story had died. Interesting timing I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ordered this from the library and I am so excited! I immediately thought of Fitz and Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the book was interesting, but there was something about it that I just didn't like. I can't put my finger on it and I did read the book over a year ago, so maybe my memory is at fault. The pool scene with President Kennedy and his brother Teddy shocked me.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your thoughts and feedback! New friends are fun :)