Image Map

wedding wednesday

Not going to lie, I sat here for a bit this morning and wondered what to write about for today's edition of wedding wednesday. There's a bit of a lull between arriving at the reception and starting all the fun stuff, you know?

So today I'm giving you my two cents on how to have a fun wedding reception. Take it as you may.

FIRST - be there for all four hours of your reception. This sounds dumb, I know, but hear (see? read?) me out. Originally we were going to be married at 7:30 that night, but with the hour and fifteen minute ceremony + pictures, we would likely only be at the reception for two and a half hours - the country club closed at midnight. This is seriously the only reason we did the afternoon wedding. Wedding at 2 and reception started at 3:30 - we arrived around 3:45 and had a blast until 7:30.

Oh, and then have an after party. And go to it. In your veil. But more on that later.

SECOND - Let people come to you.



I was so glad that they put this little seating area out and that we took advantage of it. We hadn't really had an "us" time yet until this. And you know what? People that wanted to talk to us, did. We could have walked around the whole room for hours, but we didn't. And yet we still talked to everyone at our reception. Whether they talked to us at this time or when we were dancing, we talked to everyone and still had the fun we wanted to have.



 my kindergarten and second grade teacher on the left, my favorite teacher ever and I'm so blessed she was able to come to the wedding



THIRD - Eat the food that you paid a ton of money to have there. Even if it is just a plate full of mac and cheese. Hey, I hadn't eaten that stuff in MONTHS.


LAST - Hire a kick-ass band/DJ and dance the night away.


Even if you are the only ones on the dance floor for a while.

22 comments :

  1. Beautiful photos!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, after our dry reception there will be an after party. i'm going in full wedding attire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!!!! Emphasis on eating the food and dancing.. and of course boozing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greatest post! Definitely good points to keep in mind for our reception!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this! such a good idea to have people come to you. make them do the work, it's your day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Great advice! Looks like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. picking out ceremony/reception time has been the devil for my wedding. you know what's up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice! A friend of mine told me after she got married that she didn't even get to enjoy any of the food and I was like, no way will that be me! I definitely plan on taking time to sit with my husband and EAT. haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kind of obsessed with you eating a plate of mac n cheese in your wedding dress. That's why we are friends! Love the dancing pictures too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. can't agree more with the having an after party. SO FUN

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Photos. I also agree about an after party and making sure to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always hear brides talking about how they didn't even get a chance to eat at their own wedding...at my wedding I am going to find a way to eat. Eating is my priority in life and if it means shoving a whole bowl of macaroni and cheese down my throat in two seconds I'm going to do it and I'm going to enjoy it!
    xxoo
    Jordyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You looked so beautiful at your wedding and reception. Everything about it suited you :). I love that the photos capture just how joyful you looked!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are awesome tips! I totally agree. They are definitely things I would have done differently-- especially the part about eating! I was so hungry afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We definitely did our ceremony/reception earlier so we could have full party time AND an after party! It was the best :)

    And love your wedding photos- can tell you were having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww you are a gorgeous bride! I will definitely keep these tips in mind, especially with my upcoming wedding and all. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ummm, kinda' wish I'd been invited to your wedding! Seriously looked SO FUN! :) I regret not getting more time with just Jared and I the day of!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great tips! love the idea of letting people come to you - so then you don't feel pressured to run around and say hi to everyone. smart!
    -- jackie - jade and oak
    -- artwork giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am such a fan of....
    A. YOU TWO
    B. Your wedding
    C. The advice you gave here. I love the idea of letting people come to you!!

    LOVEEEEE

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best advice! After the planning and eventually our wedding, I'd have to say all of this is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am seriously going to take ALL of this advice to heart in a few weeks! Love it =)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your thoughts and feedback! New friends are fun :)