I was going to write it on Tuesday night, but I went over to my best friend's house and helped her mom with the formatting to address her wedding invitations. We actually had a lot of fun doing that and I didn't get home until 9:30. Then I wanted to spend time with Andre'...so I did. And like I said Monday - it was kinda nice being away from the computer. I spend 8-5 glued to my screens, so when 5:01 rolls around...I want off. And I am sure as hell not going to wake up early to blog. Sorry, but I like my sleep. And when you work from home, one of the perks is having an alarm that goes off at 7:50am.
But then, as nice as it is to be away from it all - I miss it. I started this to have a creative outlet. And I can tell when I'm away - I'm more stressed out in those days. Because I need that outlet. I'm an extremely creative person, so when I don't let that out at least once during the day, I think I just freak out and get more stressed. Whether it be blogging, sewing, crafting or building furniture...I need to let it out in some form each day.
_____________________________________________
Now that I've got that off my chest, let's move on. Truthfully, I probably would have time to blog if I didn't spend hours upon HOURS on Pinterest every day. I think I doubled my pins this week alone - and all in the Home Décor category.
Maybe I am biting off a big chunk and maybe these things will never get done...but I keep telling myself: "Kaitlyn, if you make these things, you can blog about them. So make them so you can blog every day of the week." Riveting, I know.
Anyways, today I'm sharing the things I want to make/do. Tomorrow I am going to the hardware store to buy a circular saw. Let's hope I remember my skills from the mission trips I went on! Though maybe I wouldn't mind if I chopped off my left arm on accident. That thing kept me up ALL night. I probably got two hours of sleep. COOL.
The now media room will be my office until it will be the nursery (many many moons from now), so I need to make sure that the built-ins I do work for both. Enter this built in bookshelf I will be creating.
Original pin:
My plans for this are to put it along the back wall in the office. The end one will be on the other side, though. It will be along 3/4 of the wall, and then I'll have an accent chair with a small table to make it a reading "nook." Please tell me there are other people out there who automatically think of Boy Meets World when talking about a nook? Just me? These are actually from Ikea and it's just one tower, so I'd buy three and have those facing out with the fourth to the side and a chalk "wall" on it. This is probably the one I will start with as it only requires me to fasten it to the wall. I may add some crown molding around it to gussy it up, though.
Original pin:
I'm not sure how I'm going to do this because we have plantation shutters on every window in the house, but ideally I would LOVE to do this on the two windows in the kitchen. Just the "cottage chic" look I am going for. But with fake flowers, because who wants to replace flowers every three days? Not I.
Original pin:
This one you have to put on your imagination caps. It's just my inspiration. I'm going to take a 2x4 and secure it to the wall at chest level, and then put hooks along it. Then I'll take bead board and line it down the wall until it hits a storage bench that I'll be making myself. And then above the 2x4, I'm going to find an old window and hang it there to use as a wipe-off reminder station thingy. And then if there's room, I'll do small bookshelf tower things on either side. BAM - custom mudroom. But in white, not black. This will go on the wall next to the door to the garage on the first floor. I haven't talked much about the layout of the house, but it's three stories: first has the garage and then you walk into an entryway where the stairs are, a linen closet, and then a hallway leading to two bedrooms and a Jack & Jill bath. Second is living room, dining, kitchen and a half bath. Third is laundry, master bed/bath, media/office/nursery room.
Original pin:
This one also requires your thinking caps. Got them on? Ok, good. I need a desk that is large enough to fit my double-screened work computer, our iMac and my sewing machine. They just don't make that - or ones I like, that is. The bookcases above are the 4x4 ones from Ikea that you put baskets in the cubby holes. I like that, but I also need one to hold the tower for my work computer, so I'll be making those myself so one has two cubby holes and then one opening without the middle board. (Added plus - I'll use real wood and not particle board!) So it will be two of those, one on each end facing out. Then I'll be buying 2x8s and securing them together to make the top. I plan on making 3 holes along the middle portion so all the cords can go in there. And then I'm going to stain it a deep wood color to match the "stage" in the Mediaroom/office. Voila! Custom desk for cheap. And much prettier and more functional that anything I could find online.
I have limited power tool skills - but in my head, these things seem SO easy. I know how to use a circular saw, so I should be totally fine...




I stopped pinning home décor because we're moving to an apartment for six months then moving again. It sucks because I want decorate stuff.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for even thinking of using a power tool. I need to learn because I'm like you, I have all this creative stuff in my head, but then it never gets put to action because it involves wood, nails, screws, etc. I always go to brother and ask him to do it, but he really doesn't have time, and he lives three hours away. :(
ReplyDeleteCan I just come over and we make one of each of these for me to?!? Surely we could get them both done in a days work. Lol
ReplyDeleteUm can you please come build some things for me? I have big ideas but am lacking the circular saw skills to execute them.
ReplyDeleteLETS CRAFT ALL SUMMER.
ReplyDeleteAlso Im not kidding. Crafting is MY JAM.
I wish my house looked like my pins. Ugh I just need to take the day scratch that, year off and make it look cool
ReplyDeletecircular saw skills? You got this!
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed you know how to use a saw, I have no idea how to use a saw. Is that like, a common thing? Should I? Am I in the minority?
ReplyDeleteXO,
Samm
www.dysfunctionaleverafter.com
Wow I am in love with your ideas and your motivation. I can't even imagine building all of that amazing furniture, it would look awful!
ReplyDeletexxoo,
Jordyn
www.thefairyprincessdiaries.com
We all need our outlets. Sometimes it's good to just get our frustrations out, I hope you keep blogging because I've been reading through yours and I like it. I'm new to this so I'm figuring it all out. Your project list is pretty intense, that is Going to take some skill! You got this ;) have a great night girl. Xo
ReplyDelete