Image Map

texas, our texas

All hail the mighty state!


I ran across this article on my sister's Facebook this morning. If you're from Texas, I'm sure you will love it. If you're not, I'm sure that it will make you roll your eyes. 

Not only can are we the only state that can fly our flag at the same height as the USA one, but we are the only state than can say Adios! whenever we want to. We also have a pledge that we said every day right after we pledged allegiance to this great country. And facts like these are why the other 49 states hate us. 

I never really bought into the whole "omg, Texas is the best and I would never live anywhere else" thing. Probably because I was so focused on getting outta there and moving to Florida. And neither of my parents are from Texas, so maybe that played a roll, too. 

Before you Texans reading this get your panties in a wad, there are some things that I miss dearly and love about the great state of Texas. All images via the article previously linked.

Bluebonnets. There's really nothing more beautiful than driving down a country road with bluebonnets everywhere you look. 

Dr. Pepper. You are welcome, world.

Whataburger. Honey Butter freaking Chicken Biscuit. Sponsoring all 2AM post-bar food runs.

Buc-ee's. Want to see what heaven looks like?

Tex-Mex. I'm sorry - but if you live outside of Texas and you like Mexican food, you really do not know what you are missing. There's a Mexican restaurant on every corner, and they are not chains.

BLUE BELL. A little slice of heaven in Brenham, TX. If you live in a state where they do not sell Blue Bell (which is 30 of them), please mourn your loss now. Although - interesting fact - they sell Blue Bell in Athens, Greece.

No photo for this one - but my hands down favorite thing is the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. If you've never been, GO.

So, you can see that I really do like Texas. But I don't buy into the superiority bullcrap that most of the state does. Because, guess what? There's some pretty freaking great things in other states, too!

LOUISIANA:


Mardis Gras! If you need a full post on just why Mardis Gras is the greatest weekend you'll ever have, go read this girl's post. She summed it up better than I ever could. Yep, babies love Mardi Gras here, too. 

CRAWFISH. Crawfish Bread, Crawfish Monica, plain ol boiled crawfish. Yes, the peeling is annoying, but the reward amazing. January - May you can find me living at Crawfish Tyme. 

Abita Beer. Give me an Abita Strawberry while I'm eating some crawfish and I'm good to go. 

Drive-thru Daiquiris. Or walk-thru. If you're making fun of this, you are just jealous. 

FLORIDA:

I think that about sums it up. Texas, don't even try and act like you are better than this. Galveston is the poorest excuse for a beach that I've ever seen. BLECH.

There you have it. Do I love Texas? Yes. Will we live there again? Probably. But I know that there's things out there in other states that Texas just can't touch. 

17 comments :

  1. I lOVED this article! Love me some texas!
    (however HUGE truth on the beach part, ick Galveston...I'm such a beach snob...I grew up with family in florida so that's what I call a beach!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. I can't show this post to Taylor or he will start crying. I am very thankful for the Dr. Pepper, though. That is a fact. Texas is it's own country I don't even count it as being a part of the south. Here's what I know from my limited time in TX visiting Taylor's family: Houston<Dallas<Ft. Worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Texas is what's up. For real. BUTI will say after texas, Louisiana and Florida are my faves. I said it before and I will say it again we have more in common than is humanly possible. I HEART YOU! and Yeah galveston doesn't have anything on Florida's beaches. And clearly nothing can beat out Mardi gras. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this on Facebook as well and I loved it. I am one of those "omg, Texas is the best and I would never live anywhere else" and I am ok with it. But if I HAD to live somewhere else Southern Louisiana or Mississippi would be nice and closer to family. I have always wanted to see the Carolina's too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I've always wanted to visit Texas so now this just made it move up even higher on my must-do list ;) I am Mexican food obsessed so I KNOW I must get to TX and try out the "legit" stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute post :) This really makes me want to travel to all three states!But I will disagree with you on the Mexican food. You may have TexMex, but we have California burritos (carne asada with french fries) and Baja style Mexican. It's ok, we can still be friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Growing up in WI I'd never heard of Whataburger.... I was visiting a friend at Texas Women's in college and we made a post-bar stop. I've been OBSESSED ever since... Unfortunatly the nearest one is still probably 1000 miles from MN... Whenever we are on vacay ANYWHERE in the south I make the hubby take me there! (It's a bonus if I'm a bit toasty beforehand)!

    Happy Friday! Thanks so much for following me!!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. My three favorite states in one post! Now I want some, Whataburger, a quesadilla and some crawfish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When B was traveling for work, he got me a Stockyards shirt from Fort Worth. He grabbed it without unfolding it and while it says Med, it has to be a kids. I was so disappointed :(
    I've never been to any of these states, I've seriously got to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We ventured to TX AND LA last fall and I loved both of them! The drive thru daiquiris though were probably a highlight, of my life...those things were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this on Facebook too! It was pretty funny, even though I'm not from Texas. The only thing that made me mad was that it claimed sweet tea like Texas owned it. I was like, um, no. Lots of places I go here don't even HAVE sweet tea and in SC they had it absolutely everywhere, including Asian restaurants. Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Austin, TX is one of my favorite cities! I lovveeee tex mex and bet Texas has the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG. Did I write this post?? This is exactly how I feel about Texas and the people who live there that think it is the best state and is so above all others. You are right, there are great things about Texas! But other states have great stuff too. We love Colorado and the Denver area, in my opinion it has more to offer than anywhere in Texas I have been! And I bet Louisiana is a blast too and has great food!

    Ps. You forgot to mention Taco Bueno! Lol but since you mentioned Whataburger and Mexican food in general, I forgive you. : ) I really do miss Whataburger and good Mexican food...

    ReplyDelete
  14. For a Jersey girl, I really do love Texas. This may or may not have something to do with Friday Night Lights.. BUT I've done Austin, Dallas, Houston.. and driven through a lot. I love Austin and think I'll live there one day, but everyone from Texas tells me it's not truly Texas.. :) Florida is one of my favorite states, too. Just not Northern Florida so much. Love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have to comment on this one!! First off, Northern Florida is the only Florida I like. The rest is just ewww. Go Panhandle!!
    Granted, I have only lived in two states, but Texas is pretty awesome. Best economy, no sales tax, great schools, Blue Bell...the list goes on. Other states all have something to offer, but for me none can compare:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh and that is my adorable sha baby on Mardi Gras last year. Texan from his Mama and Cajun from his Daddy. Best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just had to comment on this post! My boyfriend is from Texas and when we first started dating! All he could talk about was Whataburger. I had never been to Texas then so I had no idea why he was always talking about it. But oh my world, the honey butter chicken biscuit is SO fabulous.

    He also refuses to eat Mexican anywhere in South Carolina! Haha! I'll have to show him this post!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your thoughts and feedback! New friends are fun :)